August 13, 2007

Cookie Monster

Ugh. I shouldn't have eaten all those cookies. The crappy part of homemade baked goods is that I end up eating far too many. I think I ate about 12 of these suckers last night. My belly is mega bloated and still hurts.

I found the cookie recipe in the blog: Confections of a Foodie Bride. It's an Alton Brown recipe and they're called the Chewy Cookie, they're super yummy but not all that chewy. I imagined chips ahoy chewy but didn't end up with it. Really that's ok with me because I was never a huge fan of the ultra chewy guys--John gulped those puppies down when we were kids but I've always been the decadent crunchy cookie girl. These bad-boys are somewhere in the middle. They didn't flatten like I think they should have and I burnt the first batch; the recipe says 15 minutes at 375 but my oven is the oven from hell (I mean that in a good way) so they only needed 10 minutes at 350. hot hot hot. Oh and they were a wee bit salty tasting if you ask me (that's likely because I used salted butter instead of unsalted like it says to). I think my friend the Kitchen Aid mixer might have over whipped the dough and that could be why they didn't squish down. I get all caught up in watching that KA mixer when it's going like hell and sometimes I forget the power of the beast. Yes I'm a loser with a thing for my KA mixer, I've wanted that sucker since I was 12 years old; my mom and a pile of my fabulous family members went together and bought it for me for my shower gift! LOVE IT. Anyways, Mike thought these were super yummer cookies and he's a damn good judge of cookies. I should note that "super yummer" may not have been his exact words. I'll make them again... maybe add some peanut butter next time.

Alton's Super Yummer Chewy Cookies

Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup)
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. (350 for me)
  2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat.
  3. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
  4. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl.
  5. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed.
  6. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
  7. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  8. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown (10 for me), checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning.
  9. Cool completely and eat a pile before storing in an airtight container.

No comments: