June 11, 2008

Just call me Ella Fudd

Fabulous photo found here.

pparently Jeremy isn't a very effective scarecrow.

Monday morning I sleepily wandered into the kitchen, opened the curtains and glanced in the direction of my lovely garden; I was jolted awake by what I saw. A very fat (probably pregnant) rabbit was plopped smack dab in the middle of my lettuce chomping away. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

The poor bugger was terrified when I whipped the door open; he proceeded to run back and forth bashing himself off the bird fencing (it's plastic and no he wasn't hurt) until he finally managed to rip one of the bamboo sticks right out of the ground. Silly rabbit.

The nasty little creature entered Jeremy's home by chewing a hole in the plastic fencing - the fencing that took me a ridiculously long time to set up - I wasn't pleased. Jeremy has been fired, he is no longer acting as security, he's just a pretty (creepy) face amongst the veggies.

Thankfully I caught Peter R. when I did, he must have just broken in because there was barely any damage to my plants. My garden now resembles a high security prison, the rabbits won't be getting in and Jeremy won't be getting out. Why didn't I use chicken wire and wooden spikes to begin with? It took an eighth of the time the bird fencing took to set up and is much more secure.

Lesson learned, I know now to skip the bird netting and go for the chicken wire next year... that's assuming Peter (rabbit) doesn't find away past the new security measures.

No comments: