May 11, 2009

Stupendous Asian Broccoli Salad

In recent weeks I've had a few requests for a recipe I often make: an Asian salad with chicken. The salad is slightly adapted recipe that my super awesome friend Jessy shared with me a couple years ago; the dressing is taken from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry's 'Feast from the East' noodle salad. It's mega yum and hearty enough to make as your main course.

What You Need for the Dressing
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (I omit this)
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (I often omit this)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

What You Do
Mix it all together and refrigerate if not using immediately.

What You Need for the Salad
1/2 cup slice almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds

1 large broccoli chopped
3/4 lb bean sprouts (a heavy handful)
All of the following ingredients are optional but I highly recommend using all of them:
sliced mushrooms
red peppers sliced
red onion sliced
stir fried or roasted chicken cut into chunks

What You Do
Toast the nuts and seeds on a cookie sheet (broil but watch carefully, they'll burn easily. My oven takes 5 minutes, any longer and they'll be burnt)
Mix all other ingredients together. Add dressing and mix well!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

tanzi said...

Thanks, Jaime,
I'll try this this week! I just made some Asian hot and sour soup and nearly set my throat on fir. They weren't kidding about the hot part. Sigh. Good thing I don't have much of an appetite today!
Missing you but will channel you through the salad. :)
xxx

Gingham Skies said...

Mmmm hot and sour soup?! You should post the recipe minus the fir. ;)